Flower Care Tips
Two of the top questions people askwhen purchasing flowers are
"How do I take care of them" and "How long will they last"?
Whether it is a single bud, a small bunch or an abundant arrangement, a little extra care can make a big difference. Most floral arrangements last between 4 – 10 days, depending on the types of flowers used and the type of care they receive.
Tips for longer lasting flowers
Keep the vase filled or floral foam soaked with water. If the water becomes cloudy, replace it entirely and recut stems about an inch with a sharp knife.
Stems of flowers oxidize and can droop if they are not getting water up the stem. Check the bottom of the stems for darkening or browning as this means a recut is necessary.
Keep flowers in a cool spot and away from direct sunlight, heating or cooling vents, ceiling fans, or on top of telivisions. (Appliances like televisions give off heat, causing flowers to dehydrate.
For Loose bunches or Boxed flowers
- Fill a clean , deep vase with water and add the flower food . Be sure to follow the directions on the package.
- Remove all leaves that will be below the waterline. Leaves in water promote bacteria growth.
- Recut stems with a sharp knife or floral cutters. Place the stems underwater to cut. This allows the stem to draw in water instead of air.
- When cutting woody stems and brances, cut the stems with pruning shears.
- Arrange the flowers and greens in the vase you have prepared.
- Let the magic of the flowers warm your heart.